Advanced Master’s Degree in Risk and Security Management (RSM)
When integrating the international markets, the different actors of the African economy are faced with new opportunities but also new risks. Security management has become a key factor of the economic success. It covers the protection of the intellectual heritage of the company and allows the staff to work in a secure environment.
The Advanced Master’s Degree in Risk and Security Management trains executives able to implement a global security plan. It consists of a complementary training to the training program in management and engineering offered at 2iE. It is addressed to students holding a Master 1 or Master 2, students or company executives willing to further develop their skills by a targeted expertise. It is also targeted at:
- Engineers already equipped with technical competences.
- Graduates in economic and social sciences, human resources or communication.
This Master’s program is organized in partnership with key actors of risk management. The National Institute of High Studies for Security and Justice – l’Institut National des Hautes Etudes de la Sécurité et de la Justice (INHESJ), The Manager Club of Security in Companies or the European School of Economic Intelligence-Ecole Européenne d’Intelligence Economique (EEIE).
Far away from a purely academic logic, it meets a real need from economic stakeholders. Its relevancy is based on a practical teaching, enriched by experienced feedback from international and seasoned professionals. 90% of lecturers or speakers stem from the business world and 80% of classes are given by international operators.
The training is made up of eleven complementary course units. Each unit lasts between one to two weeks. It can be attended independently and entitles learners in this case to a certificate. As an example, a success in the module « crisis management » entitles learners to a certificate delivered by the National Institute of High Studies for Security and Justice.
The Master RSM enables learners to acquire the following skills:
- Identification and understanding of companies’ restrictions.
- Identification of weaknesses
- Integration of security from the project conception.
- Design of the company’s security plans (staff, sites, travels)
- Crises management plan: communication; evacuation; activity continuity.
The whole economic sectors are here involved. Holding an engineering degree, combined with a Master’s program in risk and security management provides the learner with additional skills; its implementation represents a real asset for the company.
Beyond classical engineer prospects, this degree gives access to jobs in the « security » structures of companies:
- Deputy manager of the company’s security
- Security Manager of a production or exploitation site.
- Security Manager of a building and civil engineering works site.
- Head of QHSE of subsidiaries in big industrial groups.
It is not compulsory to have an engineering degree to enroll in this Master.
Entry level and admission requirements
The Master in Risk and Security Management is accessible to :
- Students holding a 4 or 5 year university degree.
- Professionals, who have a 2-year university degree, minimum, who benefit from a professional experience of at least 10 years in the sector (VWPE)
- Necessary pre-requisite: blank criminal record.
The candidates are selected after consideration of their applications and admission interview. During the interview, the emphasis is on the adaptation capacity of the candidate. A particular attention will be given to a good command of the English language.
- Private: 5 34 euros / 3 500 000 F CFA
- Enterprises, States: 6 400 euros / 4 200 000 F CFA
Travel expenses and accommodation expenses are not included. A payment schedule in four installments exists to facilitate payment. There are possibilities of grants, subsidies and credit funding solutions.
The training program is organized in two parts. The first part of a 5-months length is focused on theoretical and practical learning. The second part, which has an identical length, is focused on the carrying out of a project in a company supervised by a tutor. The theme chosen in liaison with the company must present an innovative, professional and original objective. It must allow the student to be placed in a professional situation where he/she will be encouraged to multiply contacts and exchanges. This project will result in the writing of a written report and its viva in front of a jury.
During this training, students will have to pass a certificate of first aid. Numerous practical cases and simulation exercises are included in this program, especially for the security audit (conducted in a practical way) and crisis management (simulation exercises).
Upon their arrival, the students are welcomed at the airport by the welcome and integration unit of the school, they are accompanied for the traditional administrative paperwork and receive a welcome pack.
The training includes a compulsory five months work placement in a company. The work schedule during these placements corresponds to the professional requirements of each company and is adapted to the needs linked to the implementation of security norms.
The training is organized in 11 course units (60 credits). The total number of class hours is of 540 h, including tutorials and practical work sessions. Details of the Course Units:
- Risks, threats and weaknesses (30h)
- Economic Intelligence and companies destabilization (30h)
- Practical work placement, Basic security jobs (120h)
- Legal framework (30h)
- Norms, Quality, Hygiene, Security, Environment (QHSE) (60h)
- Human Security (30h)
- Technologies of security (30h)
- Security audit, theory, basis acquisition (60h)
- Security/Decision reasoning method (60h)
- Security audit and implementation (60h)
- Crisis Management (60h)
- Post-crisis and danger zones come back. (30h)
Each course unit is subdivided into modules, such as natural risks, economic war, chemical polluting, security of computerized information systems etc.
For this Advanced Master’s Degree, 2iE proposes a unique academic year start, which is October. To apply and follow-up your application form online, please visit our enrolment platform.