Research and Innovation Strategy
Research carried out at 2iE targets strategic sectors for the social and economic development of Africa: water and waste treatment, renewable energies, mining, production of eco-materials. Its ambition focuses on three major challenges for the future of the Continent:
- Meet the need in energy, water and construction materials
- Improve waste treatment and transport conditions for an urban population in rapid growth.
- Meet aspirations in terms of development.
In 2012, the Institute welcomed more than 120 researchers and 40 Ph.D studens within its research labs. Thanks to a solid network of international partners and an ambition for scientific excellence, the school has become a major stakeholder on issues related to sustainable development and green growth.
For further information, please refer to our complete research strategy.
Research and innovation at the service of the African growth.
2iE’s ambition is to increase the regional and international influence of scientific and technological teaching and research in Africa.
Therefore, the support of solid partnerships with other universities and research centers is essential. Indeed 2iE believes, that research carried out in a trans-disciplinary approach, represents the motor for a sustainable economic development, by favoring the emergence of clean technologies, which are adapted to the populations in order to fight poverty, improve health and living conditions.
This strong commitment to a partnership research strategy results particularly in the implementation of an incubator and a business nursery. Hosted on campus, within the Technopole, they provide a strong added value to the innovation potential of the Institute’s students and Faculty-researchers. In 2013, the incubator hosts 4 projects and the business nursery, 2 companies:
- Faso Pro: production unit of nutritional solutions based on karate caterpillars (within the incubator).
- Nenu-PV : solar roofing to fight evaporation and produce energy (within the incubator).
- TECO2: enterprise producing ecological rooftops made from recycled plastic waste (within the incubator).
- Eco-isolant : production of insulators from cotton resource (within the incubator).
- Sirea-Afrique : development of technological solutions for Africa in the areas of energy management, production and optimization (within the nursery).
- InnoFaso : proposes an innovative solution to fight malnutrition (enterprise launched in October 2012).
For further information on the incubator device, please click here.
2iE has developed scientific partnerships with Universities and public and private scientific research centers from all over the world. The Institute maintains close scientific partnerships with:
- IRD (Research Institute for Development – Institut de Recherche pour le Développement), France.
- CIRAD (International Cooperation Center for Agronomic Research – Centre de Coopération Internationale en Recherche Agronomique), France.
- EPFL (Federal Polytechnic School from Lausanne – Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne), Switzerland.
- Hokkaido University, Japan.
- Tuskegee University, Unites States.
- Kwame NKrumah University of Science of Technology (KNUST), Ghana.
- University of Paris VI, France.
- African University of Science and Technology (AUST), Nigeria.
2iE keeps strong relationships in terms of co-funding or partnership research, with its institutional partners, among them.